Saturday, August 25, 2012

Disappointing Products


This post is basically an empties post - except that the products aren't empty. I'm throwing them out because they were plain old disappointing in one way or another, and I simply don't want them taking up room in my drawers anymore. Let's get started!



I'm going to group them into two categories: paraben-free products and paraben-containing products. The latter group consists of two concealers and a hair product, John Frieda's Daily Miracle Treatment 200ml. 



I picked this up 10 months ago and a few weeks later realized that it had them 'ol parabens. I  kept it out of guilt as it was around the £6-£7 mark and I didn't have the heart to simply throw it out straight away. I tried using it a couple of times but found it very sticky and it didn't really do anything beneficial to my hair. It claims to 'detangle to resist breakage', 'nourish' and 'leave hair silky-smooth'. Didn't work for me. Total waste.


The second paraben-containing product is my Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda concealer palette. Now I LOVE this product, it truly is the perfect drugstore concealer! It has two concealer shades, a neutralizer for any spots/redness and a setting powder. I had hit pan on the darker/peachier concealer shade a couple of months ago and then sort of smeared concealer over the pan which made it appear fuller. 


I have owned this lovely palette for one year now, since last August. Last night I was wondering about my cream products' expiry dates and checked this product for one. I then thought to myself that I never bothered to find out whether or not it had parabens. I quickly googled its ingredients and turns out the concealers contain propylparaben and the powder contains THREE different kinds of parabens! 


I'm so so disappointed about that as this truly is a wonderful affordable super creamy concealer with great coverage! I suppose because it's a US product I wouldn't have been able to repurchase it that easily, still... 



Same goes for my last paraben-containing product of this post, the Benefit Erase Paste in shade 2. I used this continuously last winter/spring and only checked its ingredients last night. I've owned this concealer for over a year now so it's time for it to be chucked away anyway. While it does correct/conceal my dark undereye area well, there are plenty more salmon-colored concealers out there and this is definitely overpriced for what it is. 



Onto the paraben-free products in this blogpost, the first two were featured in a recent blogpost that you can read HERE. They are Aveeno cleansers, one purchased from the US, the other from Boots in the UK. I disliked the former more than the latter, and while both of them are definitely more than 80% full, I am chucking them out as they were that terrible.


I won't repeat myself and you can read a more detailed review in the blogpost linked above, but here's what I thought in a nutshell:

Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Cleanser - very drying, didn't give me a fresh, good clean, didn't do much to my skin at all certainly didn't 'brighten' it.
Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Exfoliating Cleanser - abrasive on my cheeks, didn't give me a good deep clean, felt drying at times.


The last disappointing product I have for you today is the F.A.B. or FIrst Aid Beauty face cleanser sample that came in a Glossybox many months ago. I was ecstatic when I first saw it as it says on the packaging, "No Parabens, Harsh Chemicals, of Colorants".


While I truly appreciate the company's using natural/non-irritating nor harmful ingredients, this cleanser just didn't do it for me. I tried really hard to like and it and used it over and over, but in the end it does leave my skin feeling quite dry. I would say there's 40-50% of it left in the tube but I just haven't used it in months and don't want to. I love my Balance Me and Neutrogena cleansers a lot more. 


That's it for my disappointing products, have you used any of them? What did you think? 

Xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment